Our History

Home - Origem

Home - Origem

1998-2009, © St. Francis Xavier Church

In 1914 the Most Reverend Matthew Harkins, Bishop of Providence, realized the great need for a Portuguese-speaking parish in the Town of East Providence.  The Bishop appointed Fr. Joseph Lopes, an assistant pastor in Our Lady of the Rosary Church, to conduct a census in order to determine the number of parishioners that would form the nucleus of the new parish, Saint Francis Xavier Church.  In November of that year, a committee was formed to start fund-raising and build a new Church.

In the meantime, the Brotherhood of the Divine Holy Ghost in East Providence, a social organization formed by the Portuguese immigrants, offered their hall on Phillip Street to be used as a provisional church, and a house on Purchase Street was used as the provisional rectory.  The first mass was said on January 10, 1915 in this provisional church and quickly thereafter, Saint Francis Xavier Church was founded.  Land was purchased on North Carpenter Street to build the new church.  The Holy Name of Society and the Holy Rosary Sodality were formed.  To help raise founds, a bazaar was held at the East Providence Town Hall, which was very successful in raising $3000.

On May 21, 1916, a year and five months after the parish was founded the Rev Bishop Harkins dedicated Saint Francis Xavier Church.  The provisional rectory was moved to Grove Avenue to be closer to the new Church.  It wasn't until February 1931 that the parish was able to build the new rectory at 81 North Carpenter Street.

Father Lopes faithfully served the new parish of St. Francis Xavier for 25 years and was called to his eternal rest on January 22, 1940.

From 1940 to 1957 the parish was under the guidance of Rev. Fr. Albino Martins, which in his first year as pastor, had the privilege to witness the ordination and first Solemn Mass of Fr. Augustine Mendonca, the first native son of the parish to be ordained. During his 17 years as pastor he acquired properties adjacent to the church, as well as a large parcel of land on Warren Avenue.  In 196? by eminent domain the State took over more then half of that land to give room for the interstate highway 195.   The remainder of the land was later sold to the East Providence Housing Authority.  Fr. Martins was called to eternal rest on February 7, 1957.

From 1957 to 1980 the parish was under the guidance of our third pastor Rev. Fr. Manuel Rego.  Immediately after being appointed, Fr. Rego recognized the need for a school and a parish hall.  Permission was given by Bishop McVinney to engage an architect for the purpose of building a new school with a parish hall.  Anxious to start the school, the parish opened its first kindergarten classroom in a parish-owned home.  There were 38 children in this class and the teacher was a Sister of St. Dorothy.

The new school was officially opened on September 9, 1959 with an enrollment of 226 children kindergarten through third grade.  The school was staffed with the Sisters of St. Dorothy.  Eventually the school expanded to include the fourth through the eighth grade.

After 23 years as pastor, Fr. Rego retired due to illness and was named Pastor Emeritus.  Fr. John Farley was appointed by Bishop Gelineau as temporary administrator until September 19, 1980 when Fr. John Tavares was appointed to be the new pastor.

Fr. Tavares initiated and completed many parish projects.  The front of the rectory was extended to provide office space along with repairs to the parking lot.  Major repair work was required in the interior and exterior of the church.  A fund drive was initiated and parishioner, once again, generously gave their support.

In April of 1989, His Holiness Pope John Paul II honored Fr. Tavares with a title of Prelate of Honor or Monsignor to recognize his dedication of priestly service to St. Francis Xavier Parish. Monsignor Tavares retired on June 15, 1997, to be succeeded by Fr. Victor Vieira.

Fr. Vieira continues to serve the parish with the assistance of Fr. Richard Narciso. He also continues with major repairs to the school building, parking lot and a beautiful landscape.

In January of 2009, the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI honored Fr. Vieira as 'Chaplain to His Holiness' with the title 'Reverend Monsignor' to recognize his dedication of priestly service to St. Francis Xavier Parish.

A nossa História

Em 1914, Bispo de Providence, Muito Reverendo Matthew Harkins, viu a necessidade de uma Paróquia para os católicos de língua portuguesa, em East Providence. Por isso, encarregou o Rev. José Lopes, então Assistente na Paróquia de Nossa Senhora do Rosário, em Fox Point, de tirar um censo para determinar quantos paroquianos formariam o núcleo da nova Paróquia , que iria ser conhecida como Paróquia de São Francisco Xavier. Em Novembro daquele ano, foi formada uma comissão para começar a angariar fundos para construção desta nova igreja.

Entretanto, a Irmandade do Divino Espírito Santo, uma organização social, que era formada pelos portugueses imigrantes nesta área, situada em Phillips Street, ofereceu o seu salão ao Rev. Lopes para ser usado como igreja provisória. A Reitoria temporária foi uma casa em Purchase Street. A primeira Missa foi celebrada em 10 de Janeiro de 1915 naquela igreja provisória. E imediatamente foi formada a Corporação de São Francisco Xavier. E foram fundadas as Sociedades do Santo Nome e Senhora do Rosário. Comprou-se uma parcela de terreno, no qual oportunamente iria-se construir a nova igreja.

E para arranjar dinheiro para a construção da nova igreja levou-se a efeito na Town Hall um Bazar que rendeu $3000.

Em 21 de Maio de 1916, precisamente um ano a cinco meses depois da fundação da Paróquia, a Igreja de São Francisco Xavier foi dedicada pelo Bispo Harkins. Nessa altura, o Rev. Lopes mudou a Reitoria a Grove Avenue, mas ainda como Reitoria temporária. Só em Fevereiro de 1931 que a Paróquia conseguiu construir a sua Própria Reitoria, situada a 18 Carpenter St.

O Rev. Lopes, depois de servir fielmente a Paróquia de São Francisco Xavier durante 25 anos, foi chamado ao seu eterno descanso, aos 22 de Janeiro de 1940. Em 14 de Fevereiro, foi nomeado o Rev. Albino M. Martins para o substituir. Durante o seu primeiro ano como Pároco, o Rev. Martins teve o privilégio de presenciar o ordenação sacerdotal e a primeira Missa solene do Rev. Agostinho Mendonça, o primeiro filho da Paróquia a ser ordenado sacerdote.

A acção pastoral do Rev. Martins durou 17 anos e durante aquele tempo ele adquiriu terrenos adjacentes à propriedade da igreja, como também uma vasta parcela de terreno em Warren Avenue. Posteriormente mais de metade daquela propriedade foi expropriada pelo Governo para arranjar espaço para auto-estrada. E o resto foi vendido a East Providence Housing Authority. Rev. Maritns faleceu a 7 de Fevereiro de 1957.

O terceiro pároco de São Francisco Xavier, o Rev. Manuel Rego, foi nomeado em 9 de Setembro de 1957. O Rev. Rego reconheceu a necessidade de uma escola e de um salão paroquial. Foi-lhe dada autorização pelo Bispo Russel J. McVinney para contratar um arquitecto para por o fim em vista. Ansioso para começar a escola, abriu a primeira aula infantil numa casa que pertencia á paróquia. Foram inscritas no primeiro ano 38 crianças, sendo sua professora uma das Irmãs de Santa Doroteia.

A escola paroquial oficial começou em 9 de Setembro de 1959, com 226 crianças matriculadas, de Jardim-Escola até ao terceiro grau. O corpo docente era composto das Irmãs de Santa Doroteia. Gradualmente a escola foi progredindo e incluiu os graus quarto ao oitavo.

Depois de servir 23 anos como pároco (pastor) desta paróquia, o Sr. Padre Rego reformou-se devido a séria doença, sendo então nomeado pastor emérito. O Sr. Bispo Louis E. Gelineau nomeou o Rev. padre John Farley como administrador temporário, que exerceu o cargo até 19 de Setembro de 1980, altura em que o Rev. Pe. John E. Tavares foi nomeado pastor desta Igreja

O Sr. Padre Tavares deu início e completou muitos projectos da paróquia: a frente da Reitoria foi aumentada para proporcionar mais espaço ao escritórios da paróquia; o parque de estacionamento foi reparado; com grande empenho e inteligência renovou-se o interior e exterior da Igreja, e ainda foi objecto de reparações o edifício da escola da paróquia.

Em Abril de 1998 o Rev. Padre Tavares foi honrado por Sua Santidade o Papa João Paulo II com o título de Prelado de Honra ou Monsenhor, em reconhecimento da sua dedicação como sacerdote à Paróquia de São Francisco Xavier. Monsenhor John Tavares reformou-se a 15 de Junho de 1997, e foi sucedido pelo Padre Victor M. Vieira.

O Padre Vieira continua a servir a paróquia e prossegue os projectos de reparações e modernização com grande paixão com a assistência do Rev. Pe. Richard Narciso.

Em Janeiro de 2009 o Rev. Padre Vieira foi honrado por Sua Santidade o Papa Benedict XVI com o título de Capelão de Honra ou Monsenhor, em reconhecimento da sua dedicação como sacerdote à Paróquia de São Francisco Xavier.